The Importance of Swim Lessons For Kids
Swim lessons are crucial for any child, any age. Not only do swim lessons reduce the risk of drowning and improve water safety skills, swimming is a fun way to stay active and encourage healthy living from an early age. Swim lessons can create a love and respect for water early on, while building confidence that will stay with them the rest of their lives.
Enrolling in swim lessons at an early age can save lives. The Consumer Product Safety Commission reported drownings continue to be the leading cause of unintentional death in children. This is why it is crucial to take all of the available steps to ensure that your children are safe and prepared. Some of the top reasons for drowning include swimmer inexperience and lack of supervision. At the YMCA, swim lessons are conducted by trained instructors who supervise your child while teaching them lifesaving skills.
Not only do swimming lessons teach children valuable water safety skills, there are also many health benefits for your child. Swimming improves heart and lung health, while increasing stamina and strength, all in a low-impact workout. The heightened circulation from swimming is essential for healthy brain and heart development. Your child will learn to swim, be active, and by the time they finish their lesson, your child will be happy and ready to rest!
Swimming lessons help your child by:
- building confidence as they enjoy learning new skills while making friends.
- improving their mood by boosting endorphins
- providing crucial social interaction
Swim Lessons allow for your child to build the fundamentals to safely enjoy other water activities such as water sports, kayaking, water parks, and even ocean exploration.
YMCA Swim Lessons
The YMCA offers an exciting and encouraging environment for your child to learn at any age, not just how to stay safe in the water, but also have fun! We help kids overcome fears and develop skills to last a lifetime. The YMCA offers swim lessons for infants and toddlers, preschool, school-age children, teenagers, and even adults.
- Parent/Child- Lessons for ages 6-36 months where parents work with their children as they learn water safety skills and about the importance of supervision
- Preschool swim lessons- for 3-6-year-olds where children learn water comfort, safety, and begin to introduce stroke technique
- School-Age Lessons- 6-13 years old- where children learn water comfort, safety, and when ready learn stroke technique and advanced swimming skills
It’s never too late to learn to swim! The Y also offers teenager and adult swim lessons to promote health and fitness for all. Fill out a swim evaluation form today to take the first step toward enrolling your child in a swim lesson with the YMCA!