Diabetes Alert Day is a one-day “wake-up call” that focuses on the seriousness of diabetes and the importance of understanding your risk. We encourage you to find out if you – or someone you love – is at risk for type 2 diabetes. Please stop by the lobby from 10am-1pm and find out if you are at risk for type 2 diabetes. We also will be handing out information about the program that the Y is offering to prevent diabetes.
Did You Know?
- Diabetes affects about 30.3 million Americans or about 9.4 percent of the U.S. population.
- Nearly 1 in 4 adults living with diabetes, or 7.2 million Americans, are unaware that they have the disease.
- Another 84 million Americans have prediabetes, a condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
- Nine out of 10 adults with prediabetes don’t know they have it.
- Did you know that they Y is offering a Diabetes Prevention Program? Tentative start date is March 30th.
For more information, please contact Mary Hoagland, Assistant Director of Health & Wellness, at 301-663-5131 ext. 1236 or firstname.lastname@example.org.