Sports Hall of Fame
Alvin G. Quinn, outstanding athlete and former CEO of the YMCA of Frederick County, was widely admired for his sportsmanship, character, and high standard of ethics. Accordingly, when the Sports Hall of Fame was formed in 1977, the creators voted to name it after Alvin G. Quinn, and named him as one of the original inductees. To this day, the Hall of Fame committee continues to accept nominations from the public for potential inductees into the Hall of Fame at its annual banquet each February. Inductees are chosen not just based on their athletic achievements, but also on their character. The YMCA is an integral part of this process, with two YMCA staff members actively participating on the Hall of Fame Committee. The Committee members support the Frederick Community in other ways as well, such as maintaining a Sports Hall of Fame memorabilia display in the Talley Recreation Center, and supporting Community Living’s annual Snowflake Campaign to fund sports activities and experiences for people with developmental disabilities.
(Pictured from left to right)
• Don Frost
• Fred Young
• Paul Nolan
• Peggy Trimmer
• Mark Miller
• Mrs. Francis “Bill” Foreman
Download a complete list of all our Sports Hall of Fame members from 1977 to the present.
The following criteria will be used to determine an individual’s eligibility for induction into the Alvin G. Quinn Sports Hall of Fame:
- The candidate, by his/her accomplishments and contributions in the field of athletics, has brought honor to self and to Frederick County.
- The candidate has been a resident of Frederick City/County for not less than five years prior to his/her accomplishments.
- The candidate must meet either of the following criteria: Must be retired from active participation in his field of endeavor for three years OR must have been actively participating in his/her field of endeavor for ten years.
- All candidates shall be chosen on an individual basis; teams shall not be considered collectively.
- A candidate shall be at least twenty-one years of age.
- Candidates who meet all qualification, but are deceased, are eligible for memberships.
- If you would like to nominate someone for the Sports Hall of Fame, please download our application and return to Kim Hart, 1000 N. Market Street, Frederick, MD 21701.