A Message to Members/Parents from the YMCA of Frederick County
Important Message Regarding COVID-19, March 12, 2020
The YMCA of Frederick has been closely monitoring the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19 in Maryland and beyond. Governor Larry Hogan announced this afternoon that all public schools will be closed starting Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 27.
As of today, March 13, 2020, YMCA programming will be adjusting as follows:
- The YMCA Branches, Downtown and Green Valley, will remain open regularly scheduled hours.
- The Early Learning Program provided at the Downtown Y and the Green Valley branches will continue as normal. We are continuing additional cleaning and sanitation measures. Please keep your children home from child care if they are showing any signs of illness that are listed in our Illness Policy and we will be closely monitoring this to help protect children and staff.
- Head Start will be closed per Frederick County Public Schools (FCPS) from 3/16-3/27.
- Before and After Care locations, which operate out of FCPS schools, will be closed from 3/16-3/27. (Parents will receive a 2 week credit on their account.)
To assist our current BASE families who may still have to report to work, the YMCA will be offering an All Day Out program at Camp West Mar ONLY for families currently enrolled in our BASE program. Shuttles will pick up at Staley Park and drive children to Camp West Mar in the beautiful Catoctin Mountains. Children will be broken up by ages into small groups and will include crafts, sports and plenty of outside activities, as weather permits. Program attendees must bring a bagged lunch and morning and afternoon snacks will be provided.
- Dates: All Day Out program starts Monday, March 16 and will run through Friday, March 27. The program will run 6:30am-6:30pm.
- Cost: $40 a day, you can register for the full two weeks or only the days you need.
- Registration: All Day Out program has a maximum capacity of 175 and is first-come first serve. Registration will open as early as 9am Friday, March 13, 2020. Online or in person. Registration Form.
- Shuttles: The first shuttle leaves Staley Park at 7:30am (or when full) and additional runs will be made as children arrive and the next bus is full. All children must be dropped off by 9 am at Staley Park. Shuttles will depart Camp West Mar starting at 4:00pm and the children will be returned to Staley park for pick up between 4:45pm and 6:30pm. You may also self-transport your child to Camp West Mar if you wish. Please do not arrive at Camp West Mar before 8:00 am and you will need to pick your child up by 5:00 pm.
YMCA members, staff, parents and children, should evaluate their personal health prior to coming to the YMCA. If you are currently sick or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, and shortness of breath) please stay home. Those at higher risk of getting sick from COVID-19 including older adults and individuals who have serious medical conditions including lung disease, heart disease, and diabetes, should consider staying home as well.
We continue to be vigilant in our environmental cleaning and Health and Wellness staff are wiping down equipment hourly throughout the day.
Handwashing remains the most effective method of preventing the spread of germs, including coronavirus. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Frequent hand washing and use of antibacterial hand sanitizers are encouraged and practiced throughout our programs by staff and children.
Additional everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like coronavirus include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick (for at least 24 hours after there are no signs of fever without the use of fever-reducing medication).
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Please know we are continually monitoring information from the Health Department and will be adjusting per their recommendations. You can find up-to-date information on COVID-19 here:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- The Maryland Department of Health https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/Pages/Novel-coronavirus.aspx
- Frederick County Health Department
Thank you to everyone in our YMCA community. We will be sure to keep you updated as things develop and if additional measures are implemented.